Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Many faces of Dad


June 16th,1965
Buena Park,California

Looking through pictures for my Dad's Week, I noticed how much he changed over the years. People would say he looked like the 50's Crooner Bobby Darin or was it Rydell? Either way he looked like a singer named Bobby. There were times when he looked like a Hippie,a Hells Angel (sans Bike and Gang),like a mafioso,and a business man to name a few. 
The picture above is him and my mom at their Wedding Shower. Looking at my mom's hairstyle 2 words come to mind- Marge Simpson (I'm glad she doesn't have internet access,I can hear her already YVONNE! he he back to business) Up until now I didn't realize their shower was the day after her birthday,but what I do know is that I showed up a year later.
On a side note. My Dad was only 17 when he married my mom,his mother had to sign the license to allow him to get married. My mom would say she knew how much he loved her when he pawned his rims to pay for their wedding license. Romantic isn't it? 
Boy pawns kick ass car rims to marry girl. 
Fact- those weren't his rims,they were his brothers and Dad and his buddy's jacked up the car and took them while my uncle was passed out.
 How my Grandmother made it through without killing one of them is beyond me!


White Rock,California
Labor Day Weekend 1967

I don't know why,but this picture cracks me up. I guess it just screams Hippie to me. He's sitting on top of his Aunts Station Wagon with a mattress and what looks like a pool stick tied to the top. My dad loved camping any place any time. (Dad, what do you mean I can't plug my blow dryer in? ??) He loved fishing even more than camping. Growing up I can never remember not having a boat. 
I grew up a surfer/Punk chick on the sunny shores of California.


Verde River,Arizona
1971-1972 (give or take a year)

This was the Mafioso phase, Futures so bright I gotta wear shades! That's my mom,again with the Marge Simpson Do' . I'm the one in yellow,the other two are cousins. We would visit Arizona a lot and hanging at the lakes or the "Verde" is where we spent most of our time. My dad was a joker. My Aunt had 6 kids and when we would go to the lake we would all be piled in back of the truck and by "we" I mean cousins,dogs,Duck yes, my cousin had a pet duck that she would walk on a leash. He even wore a rhinestone collar. Hey I guess that's what ducks wore in the 70's. The worst visit? Hobo, the ages old family dog got sprayed by a skunk and guess where he rode on the way home? 
Yep, in back with us.
Funniest moment. The cousins chanting "we want Dairy Queen" over and over again. So dad finds a DQ and pulls up into the drive- thru. The cousins are cheering and giving each high 5's and when it's our turn at the window?
Yep, Dad just kept on going laughing like a mad-man.
There were some seriously pissed off cousins in the back of that truck that night.


Early 70's
In some lake,Somewhere

Doesn't he look like a Biker here? That's one of my God-parents many boats. I think this just help foster my love of Sirens. I swear I was one in another life. Maybe I inspired Homer's "The Odessy" This is the last picture at least for now. Have you had enough yet? Dying for that eye candy I promised? This has been fun and I really wish I could go back to those times on the water. Even more so since today is going to be 110'. 
Thank you for indulging my closet cleaning and thank you for the wonderful comments you have left.

2 comments:

  1. Artful Chica,
    In case you didn't see, you won the La Bloga contest!
    Please Email me so we can set up details.
    RudyG of La Bloga
    r.ch.garcia@cybox.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the pics of your mom and dad. It seems that so many Mexican families have pictures like this one, even when your dad is wearing the skinny tie. S0 '60's, so fashionable!
    Did they have style or what?

    ReplyDelete