Saturday, July 4, 2009

20 Years 4th of July

August mid 70's
Tempe, Arizona
January 12,1946-July 4,1989



Twenty years ago today my Dad passed away.


He was only 42.


Things had been touch and go for a long time,

Everytime the Doctors would tell us the end was near he'd come out of whatever it was and start demanding chicken pot pies again. When he was well enough to come home he told his Doctor he wanted to go on vacation,he wanted to go to Arizona. When the Dr. finally realized my dad would go to Arizona with or without his approval he gave in,on several conditions. The Dr. wanted to know where the hospital was,who would supply his oxygen (to this day I cannot look at someone with portable oxygen) and a whole list of other things that had to be in place before he could leave California. My mom drove the 2 of them to his sisters house. They say when he was getting out of the car,with the help of her neighbor he said he was home and never leaving,


Indians know when they are going to die and they go home


or so I have been told. It was a Wednesday. It was not going to be a good week. That Friday my cousin killed himself,but his wonderful Wife failed to tell my Aunt until after he was buried,despite the fact that they lived in the same county. July 2nd my dad got sick and was taken to the hospital. A couple things about my dad, He loved the 4th of July and Christmas. He loved Arizona although he was born and raised in California,his Father's roots were in Arizona. The hotter it was the better he liked it. It was around lunch time when he convinced my mom to go down to the cafeteria to get something to eat.


Evidently this was a code word for leave so that I can die.


She wasn't gone very long and she said when she walked onto the ICU floor all the rooms were dark.

Except for his. His room glowed with an aura of Angels. She said she knew then he had gone. He was facing Camelback Mountain with a smile on his face. He was at peace.


The thermometer read 125'


It's been 20 years ago today and he's missed so much. I wonder how hot it will be today?

When my time comes will I remember to go home?

I've held on to the grief and guilt of a childhood gone wrong. 20 years of, if I knew then what I know now. A lifetime of If's and Had I's. Two decades of,you only brought this on yourself.
We were not close and I wish I could change that. Every girl needs her Dad and some days I really need mine.
This week I will spend honoring him here,I hope you don't mind. I think 20 years is long enough to hold on to the past. This week I will let it all go.
If you still have your dad call him,hug him,visit him and tell him you love him. I wouldn't want you to be sitting here 20 years from now writing this same post.

Somewhere over the Rainbow daddy we will meet again


4 comments:

  1. I hope for peace for you. You have wonderful memories and some very powerful stories. My Dad passed suddenly when he was 75, That was some time ago (15 years), but he is really with me often still. I wish the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. april 28 was 29 years since I watched my Dad lose a battle with cancer that left him ravaged and wracked with pain. I was 2 weeks into my 11th birthday.
    I know, I KNOW, what you are talking about, what you are feeling. I suffered deeply for 10 years with his loss and the impact that had on my life, but I came to be at peace with it, I started to feel him very strongly and saw him in my dreams where he would come to me with messages.
    Bottom line is this, I have had a wonderful relationship with my Dad for the past 19 years, he is a part of my life, my kids lives. It makes a big difference knowing he is around me and that whenever I need a Daddy I just have to call out.
    I hope with all my heart that you find peace with this, it is such a big thing to carry and your Dad would want you to be free of it. He is always with you, always, just close your eyes and open your heart and you will 'see' him.
    Much love to you and I look forward to hearing more about your Dad this week :)
    xxsm

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO much love to you and I cannot wait to hear the stories to come this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi sweetie!

    First, thank you for sharing your dad and the love you have for him with all of us! And I look forward to hearing more about him....

    Also, thank you for stoppin' by the Yaya! Have a beautiful week in remembrance of your dad!

    xo...deb

    ReplyDelete